Getting hyts_std.exe to find the right directory

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.

Getting hyts_std.exe to find the right directory

Postby egribbin » June 11th, 2013, 5:32 pm

I'm using a script to write a series of control files of the type CONTROL.xyz into the C:\hysplit4\exec\ directory. I am using the same script in an attempt to run c:\hysplit4\exec\hyts_std xyz for each of the control files generated by the script. For some reason hyts_std is not able to find the control file named and behaves as if it cannot find any control file at all. The kicker is that the executable writes a series of empty MESSAGE.xyz files to a directory on another drive so it is finding the control files but just doesn't seem to be acting on them. When I look at my windows task manager, I have several hundred instances of hyts_std active and waiting for user input. Image
Can anyone help me figure out what is happening? Thanks in advance!

Erik
egribbin

Re: Getting hyts_std.exe to find the right directory

Postby barbara.stunder » June 12th, 2013, 1:16 pm

HYSPLIT reads the CONTROL file from the current directory. Does your script have a 'change directory' command (cd) so the processing is done in another directory (drive). Since the MESSAGE files are written elsewhere this may be the case. If so, one way to solve this is to put your CONTROL files there.
barbara.stunder

Postby egribbin » June 14th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Thanks very much! It turns out that my "Change Directory" (MS Office VBA) only changes directories on the same drive and won't move the current directory from one drive to another so I was able to add a "Change Drive" command to my code which solved the problem.

Erik G
egribbin

Postby shazi » June 22nd, 2013, 10:45 am

me also faced this problem cd (change directory) command worked for me , but will cd change the drive ? i think cd is only to change directory
shazi

Postby barbara.stunder » June 25th, 2013, 3:32 pm

To change the drive from the PC Command Prompt, do not use a "cd" (change directory), just enter the drive letter and a colon, such as to change to the D drive enter "D:"
barbara.stunder

Return to HYSPLIT for PCs