How is the relative humidity parameter calculated

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.

How is the relative humidity parameter calculated

Postby pvandewater » November 19th, 2012, 7:43 pm

I have used hysplit for some time and recently was messing around with generating hourly relative humidity data for specific locations. What I was getting was highly variable at times and other times somewhat respectable numbers (meaning that the were what I expected not necessarily what actually occurs). I have not done an exhaustive search but could not find any quick explanations of how the data is generated within the model. Any help out there?
pvandewater

Re: How is the relative humidity parameter calculated

Postby glenn.rolph » November 21st, 2012, 11:16 am

Are you referring to the ability of HYSPLIT to output meteorological variables along a trajectory? Or are you referring to how is RH calculated in HYSPLIT from the meteorological fields and used in chemistry routines in the model?
glenn.rolph

Re: How is the relative humidity parameter calculated

Postby pvandewater » November 26th, 2012, 12:27 am

I was generating RH values above a single spot on a bi-hourly basis and they seemed at times to be highly variable. The variability went against what i expected, however I must admit that there may be nothing wrong with it. That is why I asked about how the calculations were made.

Cheers
pvandewater

Return to Users